If you work with, support, or own iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch), you probably have or will encounter a situation where you have a locked device but have lost, forgotten or never knew the passcode.
Using Device Firmware Update (DFU) mode, you can get the device back to a factory state. This will wipe all of the data on the device, but from there, you can restore a backup or set it up as a new device.
Here’s the procedure:
- Plug the device into a computer that has an iTunes installation.
- Launch iTunes.
- Press and hold the Power button and the Home button at the same time.
- Hold both buttons for 10 seconds
- After 10 seconds, release the Power button but continue to hold the Home button.
- iTunes will display a dialog stating that it has detected a device in recovery mode, giving you the option to restore the device.
In DFU mode, the device’s screen will remain completely black. If you see the Apple logo, the device has simply rebooted. Repeat the steps above and be careful with the timing on steps 4 and 5.